Taking classes online is a really convenient way for the adult, non-traditional learner to balance work, family and school. It has been my personal experience, however, that without proper planning and dedication to the online classroom, success can be difficult to attain. Being prepared for class, specifically doing the required readings, can help in this.
Active reading - being engaged in the material and removing distractions from the environment is one way the text suggests having a better online experience. For me that doesn't necessarily mean I can't multi-task, (let's face it life is too busy to just do one thing) but it does mean I choose compatible activities. For example, I run on the treadmill while reading. My workout time is oft"en one of the only "alone times" I have besides the shower, and the quietness allows me to focus on the reading.
Since I usually obtain e-versions of the texts, I have begun to engage in the reading by using note taking apps like evernote. This allows me to quickly "jot down" the main points and move on while reading, but with the ability to access it from my phone, PC or tablet later. Additionally, since I'm always connected while reading, I find that social media can be a huge distraction. There are various ways to keep these at bay, including apps. For me, I have begun downloading the text content and disabling the internet connection to ensure I most engaged.
Following my readings, usually over a lunch break at work, I review my notes and put together a more comprehensive summary. No matter what your reason for using the online classroom, remember that the reading is an important part of your success - make a plan and engage in your reading!
E-versions of textbooks save paper and can easily carry for anywhere without limitation. However, it is a problem for me to take note on it. It is not easier to highlight or write down some ideas on e-version textbook. It seems that you have enough experience to handle it. And online highlight tool really help you to make touch the most important parts of textbooks. Also, so far I have no such Apps or any other tools to help me get this online-stuff. Maybe I need to have a try. I like your method to reread your notes during break and lunch time. That time is important but always be overlook by me. I think I need also consider how to use that time efficiently.
ReplyDeleteI agree that reading while exercising is a great strategy, if you can manage it. I'm not sure I could read and run at the same time, but I know some people at work use the treadmills in the hallway while they work through their emails. As you say, students in general may tend not to do the preparatory reading required in the class, but one can benefit so much more if one goes to class with some background knowledge as a foundation for learning.
ReplyDelete