Often times there are technical support services available through your college or university library and/or technical/IS staff. You can usually determine who your support team will be early on in the course (or even before it begins) by logging on to the course portal and looking for the 'help' guide. This information is also, typically, provided by the course instructor. Once you have your technical support team identified, my advice is to begin exploring the class portal and determining that your equipment meets the requirements.
Some questions to ask yourself are:
- Does this require a specific browser for best quality performance?
- Is my internet connection powerful enough to keep up?
- Not too many people are relying on dial-up modems these days, but you still want to make sure that you computer can handle the system.
- Do I have a back-up plan/alternative workspace?
- You should plan to have a primary computer and a back-up location from which to work.
Knowing your online environment and the tools within the portal is a key to your success in the class, so take the time to familiarize yourself.
------------------------------------------------------------
Research tools are also very available online, but knowing your sources is just as important as knowing the course portal. Your online sources should be carefully reviewed to see if they are reliable and trustworthy. Remember, the internet is a tool that we all have access to, and most anyone can throw up a web-page.
Some helpful tips on determining the source's reliability are:
- Look for an author's name and credentials (is this person qualified on the topic?)
- Look for a page's last updated stamp (is the material recent?)
- Note how far down on the list of results the information is
Knowing how to get technical support in an online class is one of the most important pieces of information and online instructor can give students. If it's available, and orientation to the learning management system (or whatever portal is being used) is a very nice thing to have to get the student started on the right foot. Can you relate your comments about orienting to the online environment to the course content for this week, i.e., search and research strategies?
ReplyDeleteIt is very important to make sure the browser support the class you take. Last year, I took an online class and there was an assignment that needed to complete in limited time. Before starting doing that, I did not check my laptop’s browser because previously it always work well. However, that time it did not. I was so worry about that time because I did not know how could I complete my work in time. Finally, I used my roommate’s laptop. Since from that time, I really realized how important it is to check browser first. It makes students safer. And hope I will not make such stupid mistake again.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the feedback! I did update the post to add information on research as well.
ReplyDelete